Thursday, October 11, 2007

What's For Dinner Tonight?

It's a crisp, fall day here. Looking through my cookbooks, I decided Split Pea soup with smoked ham sounded like it would hit the spot. Here is an adaption of the Williams Sonoma recipe from their "Soups" , Kitchen Library, Book.

Split peas seem made for the soup pot, cooking and softening in stock or water to produce a thick, satisfying bowlful. Use either yellow or green split peas. The soup is also good made with smoked turkey instead of ham.

Serves 6-8 adults

2 cups Split Peas
1/4 cup Olive Oil or Unsalted Butter
2 Yellow Onions, finely chopped
2 Carrots, finely chopped
2 Celery Stalks, finely chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
6-8 cups Chicken Stock or water (I use vegetable stock)
1 piece Smoked Ham, 3/4 pound (I use a smoked ham hock)
2 large fresh Parsley Sprigs
2 Bay Leaves
1 Tsp. Dried Thyme (I use more to taste-about 3 Tsp.)
Salt and freshly ground Pepper
3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh Parsley
Lemon Wedges

Sort through the peas, discarding any impurities and set aside. No need to soak the peas.

In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Saute' until the onions are translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Add 6 cups of stock or water (I use vegetable stock), the peas, parsley springs, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until peas are reduced to a thick puree, about 1 1/2 hours. (I simmer mine for about 4 hours) Add more stock or water from time to time, if needed.
Before serving, discard the bay leaves and parsley sprigs. If you use a piece of ham, chop it coarsely and stir back into the soup. If you use a hock, discard it. When I use a hock I also buy a small piece of smoked ham to chop and stir into the soup. Season generously to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve warm with a lemon wedge for guests to squeeze on their portion if they so desire.

Serve with warm crusty Italian bread, rolls or bread of choice. - ENJOY!

No comments: